The entry requirements for Austria are subject to the Schengen Agreement and enable German citizens to cross the border easily. However, there are important questions before the journey: Which ID documents do I need and what should I consider in the event of illness? Are there vaccination regulations for Austria and what can I import and export to the country? Start your journey well informed and enjoy your stay in the southern neighbouring country from Upper Austria to Carinthia, from Vorarlberg to Burgenland.

Entry requirements for Austria: what needs to be considered?

Since the founding of the Schengen Agreement, citizens of participating EU member states have been travelling from one country to another with ease. This also applies to the border crossing from Germany to Austria.

The abolished border controls ensure fast entry, which was only reinforced at the border from Austria to Hungary and from Austria to Slovenia. At all other border crossings, there are only random controls in the course of a police check or by customs possible.

In order to be able to identify yourself, you need an identity card or passport. Provisional documents can also be used for a trip to Austria, but may not have exceeded the validity date by more than one year. The provisional identity card or passport will be issued to you immediately in the Bürgeramt of your hometown.

The application is necessary if your regular identification documents have expired and an express procedure is not sufficient to hold your valid documents in your hands before you travel. A visa is only required for citizens from outside the EU unless the person is in possession of an identification document valid in Austria and a visa valid for the Schengen area.

The following applies to children travelling with them: Since 2012, every child has had to have their own children’s passport. This special pass for children is valid from birth up to the age of 11 years. A new document is required at the age of 12, even if a child’s passport was only issued a year earlier.

From now on, the passport or identity card is just as valid as for adults. For minors travelling under 15 years of age, it is recommended that they have consent from their legal guardians. This must be officially certified. This is especially true if the child has a different surname.

Entry requirements of Austria for pets

For accompanying dogs, cats and ferrets, you need the EU pet passport throughout Europe since January 2012. You can enter Austria with up to 5 animals, whereby each animal requires its own passport. Since 3 July 2011, a microchip with ID labelling is required.

For all animals that were marked with a tattoo before this date, this still applies if it is legible. In the EU Pet Passport, the mandatory vaccination against rabies is to be noted, but also all other health measures for the animal. The basic vaccination against rabies is possible for animals from the age of 3 months with a marked chip. The animal can only enter Austria 3 weeks after the vaccination. This ensures that vaccine protection is effective.

What does the leash and muzzle requirement mean for dogs in Austria? In Austria, there is no national regulation in this regard. Rather, the individual communities determine this individually. Information should be obtained from the respective tourist office. Mostly, however, a linen or muzzle obligation applies.

In public places, however, where many people come together – including stops or shopping centres – the animal must be muzzled and kept on a leash. In Vienna, for example, a general linen and muzzle requirement applies to so-called list dogs (fighting dogs).

What should be considered when entering Germany by car?

A German driver’s license or that of another EU economic area is sufficient for entry by car. It is important to attach a vignette to cars, motorhomes and motorcycles, which is mandatory for motorways and expressways. The sticker must be clearly visible on the edge of the windshield.

Attachment to the side window or behind a tinted vehicle window is not permitted. Incorrectly attached vignettes are not recorded during controls and vignettes that are not punched are considered invalid. Motorcyclists must visibly attach the sticker to a part of the motorcycle that is as firmly attached as possible.

In addition to the previous vignette, a digital version has been available since November 2017. This can be purchased at the same price both in the ASFINAG webshop and via the app of the same name.

The digital vignette must be purchased in good time before the start of the trip to Austria, as it is only valid from the 18th day after. Some routes are subject to tolls when crossing the Alps. These sections are exempt from the toll sticker requirement.

Which import and customs regulations apply?

For Austria, the valid import and customs regulations of the European Union apply. Persons from EU countries may import food, alcohol and tobacco in unlimited quantities for their own use. However, there are guidelines that should be followed regarding quantity.

The official guide values ​​state that the import of 800 cigarettes and 400 cigarillos are for personal use. Furthermore, 200 cigars and 1kg smoking tobacco may be imported into Austria from Germany and all other EU countries.

An exception is Hungary. From here, instead of the usual 800 cigarettes, only 300 may be taken across the border. There are also limits for alcohol, which are limited to 10 litres for high-proof spirits and up to 22% for alcoholic beverages.

The amount of wine must not exceed 90 litres and that of beer 110 litres unless you can prove in writing that the amount of alcohol carried is used for personal use. Food, alcohol and tobacco must be imported independently. Medicines for the purpose of own health may be imported to Austria.

The amount should correspond to the length of stay. Narcotics can be taken within the Schengen countries – including from Germany to Austria – for a period of 30 days. The issued for this certificate of the prescribed doctor must be carried and must be certified by the highest national health authority before the start of the trip. In principle, a separate certificate must be issued for each narcotic.

The import of weapons is allowed from Germany and other EU member states with a European weapon license but is subject to restrictions. A permit from the local authority is required, stating the length of stay and the place of residence.

When exporting souvenir, please inquire prior to departure which of them are subject to species protection. On the online portal & quot; Wildlife conservation & quot; find out reliably what you can import and export because ignorance often leads to confiscation by customs.

Duration of stay and refusal of entry

Citizens from the European Economic Area and Swiss citizens are allowed to stay in Austria for 3 months. Anyone wishing to stay in the country beyond this period must have sufficient financial means, work in the country with a valid employment contract, a training contract and additional financial means, or have a partner or family member in a straight line in Austria.

Within the Schengen area, citizens have no fear of refusing entry. This only happens if a country has imposed an entry ban on one person. If this is the case in one of the Schengen states, it automatically applies to all other member states. If a person was deported from Austria and would like to return, this is not possible due to the entry ban.

Vaccination regulations for Austria and useful information in the event of illness

There are no vaccination regulations for Austria, but the Federal Foreign Office recommends all standard vaccinations. For adults, these include vaccinations against diphtheria, rubella, whooping cough and pneumococci, possibly also against polio.

Before you travel, check your vaccination card and, if necessary, fresh up vaccinations that were made some times ago. Vaccination protection against tetanus and, since January 2019, measles is particularly recommended. Since ticks are native to many parts of Austria, the country recommends vaccination against the tick-borne encephalitis, which is transmitted by the small animals.

Ticks are also responsible for the disease Lyme disease, but there is no protection in the form of vaccination or special medication. You should, therefore, wear body-covering clothing and check your body for ticks after a stay in nature. These are easy to remove with a tick card.

 Before you travel to Austria, remember to insert your statutory European health insurance card.

If you have a medical condition, you must present it together with an identity card to the attending physician or clinic. The settlement of the treatments due abroad by the health insurance will be taken over. The level of medical care in Austria is excellent and similar to that in Germany with resident doctors and inpatient facilities.

High quality and hygiene standards ensure extremely good care, which is often covered in holiday resorts by specialized private doctors such as sports surgeons. As the European insurance card does not pay for all medical treatments, it is strongly recommended to take out travel insurance.

In the event of an emergency, this should also include private treatment and return transport. Private patients also go on holiday in advance and subsequently settle with private health insurance. It is also worthwhile for them to obtain additional insurance that goes beyond the usual treatments abroad.

Austria is a varied and safe travel destination. With an identity card, passport or children’s passport, you and your child are provided with the necessary identity documents. Check the vaccination card before you travel, and if necessary, refresh the recommended standard vaccines.

The entry requirements of Austria, when crossing the border with animals, prescribe the EU pet passport and current rabies vaccination. The import of even larger quantities of goods including alcohol and tobacco is easily possible. Overall uncomplicated entry requirements ensure a perfect start to the holiday.