your upcoming trip. This article is intended to give you an overview of the entry requirements for Italy because the entry formalities are not always completely clear.

What documents do I need? Do I have to get vaccinated? Which goods can I import and which not? Questions over questions that this guide will answer in an easily understandable manner. Prepare yourself in peace and start your trip to Italy with a good feeling.

Find out everything about the entry requirements for Italy and prepare yourself optimally for What documents do I need to enter Italy?

Since Italy is also a Schengen partner within the European Union, entry for German citizens is generally possible with various documents without any problems. First of all, you can cross the border with a valid passport. This must-have expired at most one year when entering Italy and must be clearly legible.

If your passport is no longer valid or simply not available, the entry requirements to Italy also allow you to cross the border with a temporary passport. This is a document that is issued to you on a provisional basis and is valid until the final passport is sent to you about three weeks after the application. The provisional passport cannot be extended.

The easiest way to travel to Italy is with an identity card. Here, too, there is the possibility of entering with a provisional ID card if the final ID card is not available or has expired for more than a year.

If you as an EU citizen are planning to stay in Italy for more than three months, you need a residence permit, which you can apply for at the police headquarters of your future place of residence. This is usually given to any EU citizen who can show that the Italian taxpayer is not burdened. which you can apply to the police headquarters of your future place of residence.

When is a visa required?

If you are not a citizen of an EU or EEA country, you need a valid passport and possibly a visa to enter the country. Otherwise, you may be refused entry to Italy. If you have already entered another Schengen country with a Schengen visa, then this is also valid for Italy. It is therefore not necessary to apply for another visa for Italy.

Non-EU citizens who are planning to work in Italy are required to have a full visa. This also applies to short-term periods of less than three months. If you are a foreign citizen and hold a valid residence permit in an EU country, you can enter without a visa, provided that the stay does not last longer than three months and is used solely for tourism purposes.

In addition, proof of the necessary financial means for the stay in Italy and the return trip can be requested. It must also be possible to present insurance cover in the event of accident and illness that is valid in Italy. If the third-country national willing to travel does not have the required documents, he may be refused entry.

On the other hand, entry is easy for third-country nationals who are married to a citizen of an EU country, Switzerland or a Schengen country. In this case, just a copy of the marriage certificate is required in addition to the identity card, so a visa is not required. 

Entry requirements for children

Since 2012, all children have had their own ID document from birth. The children’s passport is sufficient under 16, then an identity card. This applies to all of Europe. If a child does not have their own ID or passport when entering Italy, they must not step on Italian soil.

Children and young people travelling alone should have an officially certified declaration of consent from their parents or legal guardians. In the case of name deviations, copies of the child’s birth certificate and the identity card details of the person with custody are also recommended.

What needs to be considered when entering the regulations with pets?

Under certain conditions, pets such as dogs or cats can easily be taken along on your trip to Italy. Pets from the European Union need either a clearly legible tattoo or a microchip. A valid EU pet passport must also be carried.

This passport proves that the animal was vaccinated against rabies. You can obtain the EU pet passport from your local health department. The same rules apply to pets from non-EU countries as long as these countries apply European health standards.

Pets such as dogs and cats that are less than three months old cannot be brought into Italy. This regulation affects both animals from EU countries and those from non-EU countries. Preventive treatment against tapeworms or ticks is not required.

General import regulations

Due to the fact that Italy belongs to the European Union, you can import and export goods in principle duty-free and without any formalities. However, it should always be noted which goods are allowed and which are not. In addition, free movement within the EU does not allow the import and export of unlimited quantities of goods.

At the Italian airport, there are still green and red exits. The basic principle is that you can import goods for personal use in an appropriate amount duty-free and do not have to declare them. The situation is different for goods subject to approval or for articles that are imported for commercial purposes and in corresponding quantities.

In such cases, as well as when importing large amounts of cash, you must declare them. In concrete terms, this means about cash, that there is a declaration-free upper limit of € 10,000. Luxury foods such as tobacco or alcohol are generally strictly limited.

Clear guidelines also apply when entering Italy: there is an upper limit of 800 cigarettes (or 400 cigarillos and 200 cigars) and 110 litres of beer or 10 litres of spirits. The regulations for Italy when entering from third countries are different. For example, travellers from non-EU countries are allowed to import goods with a maximum value of € 300 into Italy.

The value increases for air or sea travel to 430 €. Travellers under the age of 15 are generally allowed to carry goods with a maximum total value of € 150. The import volume of luxury goods such as cigarettes and alcohol is also significantly more limited.

A maximum of 200 cigarettes, 100 cigarillos, 50 cigars or 250g smoking tobacco are imported to Italy. 1 litre of spirits with more than 22% by volume or 2 litres with less than 22% by volume and 16 litres of beer are also allowed. You can import food to Italy almost without exception.

You can easily take animal foods such as meat or dairy products from Germany, the entire EU as well as from Andorra, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and San Marino. The import of these products to Italy from countries outside the Schengen area and from non-EU countries is without the carrying of a veterinary

The following articles and creatures are also strictly prohibited: war weapons and ammunition, environmentally harmful and radioactive objects, illegal drugs, prescription medication without a medical certificate in English or Italian without a medical certificate, living or dead animals as well as animals and plants that are protected by species protection regulations. An infringement inevitably leads to the confiscation of the goods and, in severe cases, to a criminal complaint with legal consequences.

What are the special customs regulations for exports?

If you make purchases in Italy, there is no limit on the export. However, please note that the destination country has its own limit values ​​and inform yourself thoroughly before departure. A special regulation applies to the export of works of art and archaeological artefacts.

As a buyer of cultural goods, you have the right and the obligation to know whether the item is released for export or not. In Italy, works of art such as paintings, sculptures or antiques are divided into two categories: on the one hand, works that are less than 50 years old or from a still-living artist, and on the other hand, those that are 50 years or older.

In the first case, you must provide the export authority with a self-certificate before you leave, stating that the plant is not older than 50 years. You must also include photos of the item and a copy of your identity card.

For works that are older than 50 years, you must present the object to the export authority and apply for a circulation certificate, if this has not already been given to you by the seller. The processing time for the certificate takes between 15 and a maximum of 40 days.

Issuing this certificate is not compulsory and can be refused by the authority at any time if the export is considered to be national damage.

For what reasons can entry be refused?

First of all, if Italy is banned from entering the country, it is also valid for the rest of the Schengen Area and the person concerned cannot enter Spain, Austria or Finland. The reason for this is the Schengen Information System (SIS), in which an entry can result in a refusal to enter the entire Schengen area.

Of course, entry is also prohibited if the person concerned is sought across borders due to a crime or if there is a subpoena. Crossing the border is also refused if the person wishing to enter is registered in the national database and poses a threat to national security.

What vaccinations do I need?

There is no compulsory vaccination for nationals of an EU country for Italy. However, preventive vaccinations are recommended: A combination vaccination for tetanus, diphtheria and whooping cough can be useful. In addition to basic immunization against polio and measles, the Tropical Institute recommends vaccinations against hepatitis A and B.

Please note that in certain areas of Italy there is an increased risk of non-vaccinable diseases such as Lyme disease, which can be transmitted by ticks. Depending on the type and length of stay, further vaccinations may be useful. This primarily depends on the planned leisure activities, accommodation and possible contact with animals.

In conclusion, it can be said that the entry requirements for Italy for citizens of a member state of the European Union or a Schengen state are fairly straightforward and are based on the generally applicable standards within the EU. If you are a citizen of an EU country, you and accompanying children only need a valid identity card, with which you can stay in the country for up to three months without a written residence permit. In addition to a valid passport, a visa and other documents may be required for non-EU citizens.